Charlize Theron is an actress and model from South Africa, she is also American since 2008. In particular, she won the Oscar for the Best Actress in 2004 for her role in the film Monster like Aileen. This same year Charlize has been the muse for Dior for the perfume J’Adore.
- Name: Charlize Theron
- Date of Birth: August 7, 1975
- Birthplace: Benoni (South Africa)
- Nationalities: South African and American
- Profession: Actress and model
- Child: Jackson Theron
- Marital status: single
- Height: 1.77 m
- Weight : 54 kg
Charlize born in the city Benoni near Johannesburg. His parents ran a road construction. Geda is German, while Charles was of French ancestry.
His father fell into alcohol and struck his wife. I was killed in 1991 in an act of self-defense and did not pursue. Charlize was only 16.
Afrikaans (language derived from Néerlendais spoken in Namibia and South Africa) is his mother tongue and English is his second language. Moreover, she learned very young Xhosa as is spoken in another language AdS( this country has 11 official languages).
Charlize was in a couple from 2002 to 2010 with an Irish actor Stuard Townsend who has also made Battle in Seattle where she had a major role. She said she was married with him (see video interview at the bottom of this article) but refuses to marry as long as it is not accessible to all.
She adopted a boy, Jackson was born in South Africa said his spokesman in March 2012.
Charlize Theron was appointed at November 18th, 2008 as Messenger Of Peace of The United Nations due to its action for poor children in South Africa.
Charlize advocates for gay marriage, she said she did not want to marry until gays and lesbians do not have the same rights as heterosexuals.
Charlize is a member of the association Peta (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) and appeared in a campaign against fur.
Her modeling career began at the age of 16 when his mother make her entered a contest which allows her to represent South Africa at the International New Model Today; she won and that allows her to turn professional. She moved to Milan with her mother, who is three months along with her before returning to his country.
After a year, she enrolled in a ballet company in New York. She started dancing at 6 years but she was forced to stop due to a knee injury and moved to Miami to continue modeling.
But the job of top model does not pack more than that and she wants to become an actress. His mother encouraged him and Charlize arrives in Los Angeles. No miracle for the pretty blonde who can not get a role and this situation causes some distress which causes ulcers she had in her teens.
The trigger has occurred by chance in a bank. While his banker refuses to cash a check her mother had sent her, and they began a discussion. John Crosby is a witness of the scene. This agent detects potential actors and proposes her to take acting classes they will allow her to be presented to the world of business of acting.
She followed a few small roles before landing a spot on the cast of The Devil Associated with Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves. Her career has taken a new dimension.
Monster mark a turning point in her career. Charlize is transformed for this movie. Ugly and heavy with good 15 years, it is no longer recognizable. This film is a fictionalized version of the life of Aileen Wuornos, a serial killer who was sentenced to death. She is too much documented to enter this particular character and has met with one of the friends of the serial killer. The reviews are positive and she received many awards for this role the best Actress Oscar, and a Golden Globe.
Since then Charlize participates in auteur films as blockbusters. She was nominated again for an Oscar for best actress in 2006 for North Country and her performance in Young Adult earned her numerous nominations.
Her films that have been the most successful are Hancock (with $ 624,386,746), Snow White And The Hunter ($ 396,397,203), A Heist The Italian ($ 176,070,171) and The Devil’s Partner (152 $ 944,660). Besides this, The Yards, Aeon Flux, The Legend of Bagger Vance or Battle in Seattle have been flops.
- 1995 : Children of the Corn III : Urban Harvest, by James D.R. Hickox : the young woman
- 1996 : 2 Days in the Valley, directed by John Herzfeld : Helga Svelgen
- 1996 : That Thing You Do !, directed by Tom Hanks : Tina Powers
- 1997 : Trial and Error, directed by Jonathan Lynn : Billie Tyler
- 1997 : The Devil’s Adovcate, directed by Taylor Hackford : Mary Ann Lomax
- 1998 : Celebrity, directed by Woody Allen : le mannequin
- 1998 : Mighty Joe Young, directed by Ron Underwood : Jill Young
- 1999 : The Yards, directed by James Gray : Erica Solz
- 1999 : The Astronaut’s Wife, directed by Rand Ravich : Jillian Armacost
- 1999 : The Cider House Rules, directed by Lasse Hallström : Candy Kendall
- 2000 : Reindeer Games, directed by John Frankenheimer : Ashley
- 2000 : Men of Honor, directed by George Tillman Jr. : Gwen Sunday
- 2000 : The Legend of Bagger Vance, directed by Robert Redford : Adele Invergordon
- 2001 : Sweet November, directed by Pat O’Connor : Sara Deever
- 2001 : 15 Minutes, directed by John Herzfeld : Rose Hearn
- 2001 : The Curse of the Jade Scorpion, directed by Woody Allen : Laura Kensington
- 2002 : Trapped, directed by Luis Mandoki : Karen Jennings
- 2002 : Waking Up in Reno, directed by Jordan Brady : Cathy Kirkendall
- 2003 : Italian Job, directed by F. Gary Gray : Stella Bridger
- 2003 : Monster, directed by Patty Jenkins : Aileen Wuornos
- 2004 : The Life and Death of Peter Sellers, directed by Stephen Hopkins : Britt Ekland
- 2004 : Head in the Clouds, directed by John Duigan : Gilda Bessé
- 2005 : North Country, directed by Niki Caro : Josey Aimes
- 2005 : Aeon Flux, directed by Karyn Kusama : Aeon Flux
- 2007 : In the Valley of Elah, directed by Paul Haggis : l’inspecteur Emily Sanders
- 2007 : Battle in Seattle, directed by Stuart Townsend : Ella
- 2008 : Sleepwalking, directed by Bill Maher : Joleen
- 2008 : Hancock, directed by Peter Berg : Mary
- 2008 : The Burning Plain, directed by Guillermo Arriaga : Sylvia
- 2009 : The Road, directed by John Hillcoat : la femme
- 2009 : Astro Boy, directed by David Bowers : la narratrice
- 2011 : Young Adult, directed by Jason Reitman : Marvis Gray
- 2012 : Snow White and the Huntsman, directed by Rupert Sanders : la Reine Ravenna
- 2012 : Prometheus, directed by Ridley Scott : Meredith Vickers
- 1997 : Hollywood Confidential (TV) : Sally
- 2005 : Arrested Development (série télévisée) : Rita, 5 episodes
- 2006 : Robot Chicken (série télévisée) : Daniel’s Mother (voice), 1 episode
Awards and nomination
- Oscar 2004 : best actress in a leading role for Monster
- nomination Oscar 2006 : best actress in a leading role for North Country
- Golden Globes 2004 : best actress in a drama for Monster
- nomination Golden Globes 2006 : best actress in a drama for North Country
- nomination Golden Globes 2012 : best actress in a comedy for Young Adult
J’Adore perfume was launched in 1999 and it was in 2004 that Charlize Theron becomes the muse. Six campaigns for J’Adore occurred since she became the face of the fragrance with three video spots:
- 2004: video sensual
- 2006: the sexy striptease
- 2011: the parade in the Hall of Mirrors
Nelson Mandela, former President of South Africa, Thabo Mbeki and his successor challenge him in 2003 an ounce of gold to congratulate her for her Oscar. She is the first South African crowned at the ceremony prestigious American homeland and the door in triumph. For many “Charlize” are born in the African country in her honor.
Charlize often appears in the rankings of the sexiest women. In 2008, she appeared in FHM at 43th place, in 2009 as 17th and 56th in 2010. In 2012, the women’s magazine Maxim class in 16th position in their ranking of the most beautiful women in the world.
She was host of the draw for the FIFA World Cup which was held in South Africa in 2010. During rehearsals, she said “Ireland” while he was in France. The model has sense of humor and shows it has followed the controversy following the quality of the France team after Thierry Henry’s hand against the EIRE.
Always full of humor, she declared that she was married to Prince Harry and she was pregnant. In fact, she worked with him in order to open a support center for orphans who are victims of AIDS in Lesotho (a region of AdS).
On Letterman’s show :
With Nelson Mandela (Madiba)